Global Commons Alliance and New Zero World Announce the Earth Public Information Collaborative (EPIC)
EPIC (Earth Public Information Collaborative) is a first of its kind, new initiative drawing on world class marketers, the creative community, media and tech power, and climate science experts. The mission is to bridge the gap between science and society, and to catalyze public engagement at a global scale to achieve a more just and sustainable world. This fusion of media, tech, and@ advertising industries with science communicators is the beginning of a new public service ecosystem, drawing on leaders throughout the communications world to support a new era where citizens everywhere have access to vital science, data, and solutions on climate. EPIC will also serve as a centralized communications resource, enabling organizations, companies, campaigners and policymakers to access reliable evidence-based information, mutually learn and effectively communicate the urgency of our human and planetary climate crisis.
As the climate crisis accelerates at an unprecedented rate, a global communications strategy is critical to exposing the problem, translating new scientific tipping points, and harnessing our collective imagination towards a more just and sustainable path forward. EPIC plays a critical role in convening cross-sector stakeholders and ambassadors to collectively engage humanity at scale with public service campaigns, accurate science and reporting, and accessible resources designed for broad public engagement.
PROBLEM VS. OPPORTUNITY
Our collective understanding of the impacts of climate change and the solutions available are siloed, creating a breakdown in public engagement and political will towards action. When uncovering the numerous intersecting systems that feed into this cycle, we recognize that the problems and solutions impact us all, giving rise to the need for a public service approach. Challenges include:
- A TIDAL WAVE OF GREENWASHING + MISINFORMATION: Social media and other phenomena have unleashed an unrelenting torrent of false and misleading information on the public, with huge repercussions on public health and safety. The speed of transformation and lack of frameworks and knowledge are fueling confusion and inaction.
- A VOID IN PUBLIC SERVICE CAPACITY AROUND THE PLANETARY CRISIS: There is a vital need for public service engagement around climate, to build resilience and collective action for public health and safety. But there is no effective mechanism to deliver this.
- BEST COMMUNICATIONS TALENT SUPPORTS INDUSTRY, NOT PUBLIC: Why should world class experts in communications, cultural shapers strategies and technology be solely the tools of industry? It’s time for a new public service information system to engage and help support public safety and health.
- MOST VITAL SCIENCE & JOURNALISM BEHIND PAYWALLS: Most of the best sources of science, journalism and reporting about the climate crisis, are locked behind paywalls that block access to 95% of the global population.
- COMMUNICATING TO THE NON-CONVERTED: Science + Climate communities typically communicate within, not crossing to mainstream.
This is a public service initiative, designed to draw broad support from a wide range of sectors including:
- The international advertising community
- Global media companies
- Social media and tech companies
- The creative community of writers, storytellers, directors, photographers, animators, performers, influencers, celebrities, etc
- Science based efforts including climate and nature, human health, human rights, and disaster planning
- Global funders in support of the research, audience segmentation, campaign design, production, media buys
NEW PUBLIC MEDIA OUTREACH MODEL
- Public Service Announcement 2.0 - PSA Reimagine
- Building a global infrastructure and Earth positive public service ethic in media/communications
IMPACT & RESEARCH LAB
- High power audience engagement and research strategies that enable global audience segmentation and targeting
- Ongoing research to provide insights and resources for best campaign communications outcomes
CUTTING EDGE ONLINE RESOURCES
- Online Toolkits, data and high profile editorial communications
- Creation of digital content from inception to conception delivered through a new, innovative international PSA model
- Investigative journalism to ensure transparency
- Earth Dashboard tracking data and progress
- Convening events and public forums
- Recruiting world class celebrities, sports stars, musicians, and influencers
- Greenwashing and Fake News Hotline